Thursday, July 15, 2010

Going Global



Although Phillips Industries had been doing a great job of introducing us to the Pacific, European, Middle East, and African markets we felt we needed to be more directly involved.  To achieve that, we established an office in London and Hong Kong.  The goal of these offices was to support the Phillips efforts.  We staffed them with sales, service, and systems support.  Typically a senior marketing associate managed them.
By the time we made this decision we had all spent a great deal of time in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) market.  We selected an experienced Sales Management associate from our West Coast Area. 
The Hong Kong office we decided to staff with a relatively new Sales Management associate from our Chicago office- Mike.  That may have been one of my better career decisions.  Mike went on to manage the EMEA operation, then our Eastern US Area, and finally became the president of our worldwide operations, including sales, service, and manufacturing.  During his time in this area we opened manufacturing operations in China, Germany, India, and Brazil.  In addition we completed a Joint Venture Partnership with IBM. 
Consider this a prologue.  Each of these events require a chapter of their own to fully appreciate their importance and impact on my own career.
As one would expect, this period in my career required a great deal of travel.  By now my responsibilities included all world wide Sales and Marketing activities.  To assist me I asked one of my better Area managers in the Midwest, Chuck, to manage our US operations. 
I also made sure that when I was home I devoted as much time as possible to supporting and following my family’s activities.  The two daughters who remained in Canton were very active in sports, the marching band, and social activities with their friends.  They were both also getting ready to move on to college.  Patti went on to Bowling Green University and Karen to the University of South Carolina.
We went to their games, band performances, performed chaperone duties whenever possible.  I am sure I missed a lot with my traveling schedule but I tried to be sure I was always home on weekends when they were involved in their extra curricular activities.
I was always proud of their achievements and regret that I did not have even more time to be involved in their activities.
Lessons learned:
1.  Don’t try to do everything yourself.  Find capable people to help.

2.  Look for people who are willing to devote the time and energy to succeed as leaders.

3.  Don’t try to do their jobs for them.  You do not have time and it will not help others develop themselves.

4.  Don’t rely totally on other companies to develop your international markets.

5.  Always stay as involved as possible with your family.  They provide your base, support, and great sounding board.

6.  Don’t be afraid to instill the policies that you know work in other countries and cultures. ( More on this later.)






No comments:

Post a Comment